As I’m sure you know, the last week has been a little “hectic” to say the least amid this pandemic situation.
Travel limited, stock market plummeting, businesses closing, employees being sent home.
It would be hard to imagine someone who hasn’t been affected in some way by this COVID-19 situation.
Now, I’m not going to speak on the disease itself because quite frankly – I’m not a doctor. I’ll just repeat what the doctors and medical professionals have been recommending:
1. Wash your hands with soap, a lot.
2. Don’t touch your face and stop picking your nose.
3. Stay at home or at the very least away from people.
With that said, what I can speak to is how to navigate this challenging time in terms of your overall mindset as well as keeping yourself healthy moving forward.
Here are a couple things that I’m keeping in mind right now and would recommend you consider:
1. You Will Make It Through. This Too Shall Pass.
I have a series of reminders that pop up on my phone every day. One of them says, “You Will Make It Through”.
It’s a reminder that no matter what is going on, you’ll get through it. We’ve all been through significant hardships in the past that felt like they were insurmountable.
And guess what? You got through it.
So, no matter what happens next just remember that you will get through it one way or another.
2. Ignore Supplement Claims, Now More Than Ever
As of right now, there is no vaccine for this virus and there probably won’t be quite a while.
There is also ZERO evidence of any supplement, herb, essential oil or diet protecting you from it.
During times like this, some unethical companies and people will try to take advantage of the fear and sell their useless products based on false claims. Please ignore it all and stick to the basics of staying healthy.
3. Focus On What You Can Control
Unfortunately, we can’t control whether we get sick or not.
But what we can control are our behaviours around the basics of long term health:
1. Get plenty of sleep
2. Eat mostly vegetables and a little bit of fruit
3. Get some quality meat/fish/eggs with a few of your meals
4. Move around – even if it’s just doing laps of your house
5. Stay strong by strength training (this can be simple bodyweight workouts at home)
6. Take a few deep breathes and think about something you’re grateful for
7. Drink plenty of water
There are probably others, but that’s a good start for today.
So, take a breath, remain calm and focus on what you can control.
You will make it through, this too shall pass.
Stay healthy, my friends.