It finally happened.
After 2 months, I finally cracked open the Instant Pot I got for Christmas and took it out for a test drive! If you’re not sure what an Instant Pot is, basically it’s a fancy pressure cooker which cooks food so fast I can only describe it as magic.
I have to admit, I was slightly concerned I might blow myself up with it but under Harlow’s watchful eye we managed to come out unscathed with a delicious meal to show for our bravery.
Yesterday I spent the afternoon cross country skiing, so for dinner we decided to warm ourselves up with some chili. A perfect way to break in the Instant Pot.
Since this was my first time using my Instant Pot, this took a little longer to prepare but next time it wouldn’t take me any longer than 30-45 minutes, start to finish. And most of that would be wait time while the Instant Pot works it’s magic.
You could also make this same recipe in a regular pot (how boring…) or a slow cooker. For the slow cooker you would just set it to high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot
- 1 kg extra lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 8 mushrooms chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can kidney beans drained/rinsed
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE mode and add the ONION, BELL PEPPER & MUSHROOMS with a pinch of sea salt. Saute until vegetables are starting to get soft.
- Add the tomato paste and the garlic. Mix together and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the lean ground beef. Break it up, mix it all together and cook until beef is starting to brown.
- Once beef is almost all browned, add the spices. Mix together and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, broth and fish sauce with another pinch of sea salt. Mix together well.
- Follow instructions to set the Instant Pot to PRESSURE COOK on high pressure and the time for 15 minutes.
- Stand back and hope your Instant Pot doesn’t blow up.
- When it beeps, either let the pressure release on it’s on slowly or hit the steam valve to vent and let it release quickly if you’re ready to eat.
- Add toppings like green onion or avocado if you’re trying to be fancy and think you’re better than everyone (as we did last night).