For the last 6 years or so, I’ve played on a curling team here in Winnipeg. Similar to the reasons I started cross country skiing, I took up curling for a couple reasons:
- Unlike my previous sports basketball and volleyball, curling is a sport you can participate in quite competitively until you’re quite old. My grandpa is pushing 80 years old and only this year decided to call it quits. Not even because he couldn’t physically do it, he simply had enough of the other players on his team.
- It gets quite cold and a little miserable in Winnipeg during the winter months, so curling gives me something to look forward to. In recent years I’ve adopted the motto of finding ways to embrace winter so that it’s more enjoyable instead of dreading it.
Our curling league season is finished around the end of March and every year the league puts on a final dinner at the curling rink for all the teams. This dinner is catered by a local business and the teams will typically vote on which restaurant will serving us.
The choices are typically either some kind of “Chinese buffet” restaurant, pizza or a locally owned BBQ joint that specializes in BBQ pulled beef, pork and chicken.
Every year, without fail I will vote for the BBQ restaurant. It’s absolutely the best pulled beef, pork and chicken I’ve ever had in my entire life. I only have it once each year, usually at our curling dinner and sometimes not even then if the vote doesn’t go my way. When it lines up though, I feast as if I haven’t ate in a month and like I might not see food again for my entire life. It’s glorious.
BBQ PULLED BEEF RECIPE
The one drawback to BBQ pulled beef though, is that it’s typically not all that “healthy”. It’s loaded with high-sugar BBQ sauces and can be quite high in calories (especially when you eat an entire cow’s worth of pulled beef in one sitting…). So, I decided to try my hand at making a slightly more “BluePhoenix-approved” version of my favourite BBQ pulled beef recipe.
As it’s laid out below, the calorie and macro-nutrient breakdown would look like this (obviously, you can adjust serving size as needed):
SERVINGS: 6 | CALORIES: 635 | CARBS: 54.7 grams | PROTEIN: 80.6 grams | FAT: 8.1 grams
BBQ Pulled Beef & Potatoes
- Dutch Oven
- 1.5 kg Inside Round Roast
- 1.5 kg Potatoes white or red
- 2 medium Carrots sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Beef Broth
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 4-6 tbsp compliant BBQ Sauce
- 1 tbsp Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- Clean and slice the carrots and potatoes. Line the bottom of your Dutch Oven with half of the carrots, potatoes and onions. Season with 1/4 of the sea salt/pepper.
- Season the beef roast on all sides with 1/2 of the sea salt/pepper and add to the Dutch Oven.
- Add the remaining carrots, potatoes, onions around the edges of the Dutch Oven and season with the remaining sea salt/pepper.
- Add the beef broth and balsamic vinegar to the Dutch Oven.
- Place in the oven and cook at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 2-2.5 hours.
- Remove the beef roast from the Dutch Oven and place on a cutting board.
- Using 2 forks, shred the beef and place in a large baking dish.
- Add the BBQ sauce and approximately 1/3 of the sauce from the Dutch Oven to the shredded beef and mix thoroughly.
- Place back in the oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with the potatoes, carrots, onions and a large salad.
Ready To Become The Strongest, Healthiest, Most Confident Version Of You?
Our 16-week Sustainable Weight Loss Solution Level 1 Coaching Program is officially open and we are accepting new clients.
The Sustainable Weight Loss Solution helps people lose up to 40 lbs and go from frustrated to fit in just 16 weeks. This is all done in a sustainable way using our short but effective at-home F.I.R.E. Workouts and Sustainable Nutrition System – NO confusing calorie counting or spending your life in a gym required.
If you’re ready to get off the diet rollercoaster for good, feel stronger and healthier than ever with more confidence in yourself and your body, I would encourage you to apply for a complimentary Transformation Strategy Call today.
During your call we’ll discuss:
- Where you’re at right now in terms of health and fitness
- Where you’d like to be in the next 6-12 months
- Any obstacles or challenges your facing & how to break through them
After that you’ll have a chance to ask any questions you may have, and if it seems like a good fit we can discuss how to get started in the Sustainable Weight Loss Solution Level 1 Coaching Program.
But either way you’ll walk away with crystal clear clarity on what you need to do to achieve your biggest fitness, wellness or weight loss goals.
So take 5 minutes to answer a couple of questions on this page and schedule a time for your complimentary Transformation Strategy Call before the spots fill up.